Eleni Kounalakis is running to be the next Lieutenant Governor of California and is expected to win her election.
Background and Achievements
Kounalakis is a life-long Democratic activist, the former U.S. Ambassador to Hungary under President Obama, and a successful businesswoman who has spent two decades building homes for middle-class families in Sacramento. Creating more affordable housing and strengthening the state’s transportation infrastructure are two of her top priorities. Kounalakis is also committed to being an advocate for California’s diverse immigrant communities, especially migrant farmworkers and Dreamers.
Positions on Key Issues
- Strong advocate for women’s health care, including reproductive rights
- Ensuring accessible and quality health care
- Strong supporter of public schools
- Expanding California's infrastructure
Prospects & Opponents
Kounalakis is running against Democratic State Senator Ed Hernandez. She is expected to beat him in the general election after finishing first place in the primary.
- Feminist Majority
- California Senator Kamala Harris
- EMILY's List
- California NOW
- SEIU Local 2579 - Employees Union
- California Federation of Teachers